Thursday 1 March 2012

1: Earning The Truth


There cannot be a claim bolder than the one made by Jehovah’s Witnesses. Think, for a moment, of the very nomenclature that embodies the title of this opening chapter, “The Truth”. Two innocent words which we would use by default to describe the life-course and belief system of Jehovah’s Witnesses here in the twenty-first century. We use the phrase, “I am in The Truth”. And we use it without remorse or hesitation, without any sense of self-consciousness. But most worryingly, we use the phrase without the license it is owed; without ever asking ourselves if we are justified in the display of such brazen self-confidence.


Let’s not be under any illusion; uttering this disyllabic expression is neither a matter of internal terminology nor of earned status. In other words, referring to JW doctrine and lifestyle as “The truth” is not just a turn of phrase, like “The Society”, or “This System of Things”. It is a clear statement of belief, repeated without thought or question by the millions of witnesses worldwide each and every day. It is a phrase that we all use without really thinking, a descriptor that will strike an instant chord with fellow believers.

So, then, as users of this phrase, is it not our duty to earn the title? Of course, every one of Jehovah’s Witnesses is encouraged to “keep proving whether [he] is in the faith”, but is this honestly done from a non-biased, critical viewpoint? To rephrase the question, when you ‘prove’ The Truth to yourself, do you start with the viewpoint that ‘The Truth’ is true, and then find the facts that agree? Or, do you start by gathering all of the facts, from all different viewpoints, and then come to a logical conclusion? The latter option may seem, for want of a better adjective, ‘scary’. However it does not need to be so; it is not about ‘disproving’ the truth, it is simply about an open and honest evaluation of the facts, followed by the drawing of a conclusion. Not the other way around. Why not?


Fact or Theory First?

 Being a creature of habit, for years now I have left my keys on the right arm of the sofa in my living room. There’s no reason in particular why I chose this place to leave them, that’s just the way I seem to do it. So, every time I leave my apartment, my final action is to walk over to my sofa and pick my keys up off of the right arm. This has become ingrained, second nature, almost unconscious. But there’s always that one-time-in-a-hundred when I walk over to the sofa and the keys are not there. Thus, the hunt begins.



You will likely be able to sympathise with this scenario; your first reaction is to look down the side of the sofa, then perhaps beneath it. This is of course my reaction too. Oddly, I look down the side of the sofa again. And then probably beneath it again. Over the course of looking for the keys, I will no doubt examine the same places perhaps half-a-dozen times before I find the keys. Why is this?

It is because I have approached the situation incorrectly; I have begun with my opinion- “The keys should be on the right arm of the sofa”. So that’s where my search naturally begins. And it takes time for my brain to accept that perhaps they were never left on the sofa; that perhaps I should start by remembering the last time I had my keys, and re-trace my steps. Why would I do that? Because, obviously, if I begin with where I know I had the keys, I should at some point stumble across where they ended up. In other words, if I stop going by my opinion of where I think they should be, and simply recall the factsI am switching to logic, and success is most likely.

The lesson we learn is that starting with an opinion and working with that as your basis is, to put it bluntly, a waste of time. One must start by gathering the facts, and only then derive a conclusion based on all of those facts.

Let’s think of another, briefer example: a scientist searching for a cure for a disease. Imagine he were to arrive at the lab thinking, “I think that Sodium is the cure.” He then goes about his tests and experiments, and immediately is biased towards any result from samples involving Sodium! This bias is in serious danger of causing him to miss the real cure. It is irrelevant why he had this bias, perhaps he likes the smell of Sodium, or perhaps Sodium has been used to cure a similar disease. The fact is that he was biased towards Sodium, and that caused him to overlook other evidence.



Now, rewind the clock. The same scientist arrives at the lab, this time putting his opinions, hopes, and wishes aside, and simply observes the results. Unencumbered by his intrinsic biases, he observes that statistically, Calcium seems to have the best effect on his samples! After repeating the experiment for verification, he can be confident that he has found the best chemical for the job. On a side-note; he must also be willing to change his mind on the cure if a better, simpler method is found later to supersede his own discovery (we shall visit this concept again later).

Both examples illustrate the point that in any line of enquiry, one must begin by honestly gathering and examining all the facts, and then draw a conclusion based upon them. Why? To quote Sherlock Homes, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” This truly is a grave danger indeed. For a Jehovah’s Witness, that danger could include a bias toward archaeological evidence which agrees with their beliefs, rather than an honest evaluation of what really happened in history. We will visit this point again later.

But, for now, we shall make a pact- a mutual promise between you (the reader) and we (the authors). We shall present to you unfettered, unedited facts from every appropriate viewpoint when discussing the facets of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Said facts will be fully referenced wherever possible, and in line with current thinking- both scientific and spiritual. In turn you shall, to the best of your ability, divorce yourself from your opinions (as entrenched as they may be) and consider the facts honestly. Not dismissing them because they don’t agree with your view, say, of when the Flood must have happened, or of the legitimacy of some of the other claims of the Bible.

With that pact made, we can begin our exciting journey.

NEXT >>>
CONTENTS

No comments:

Post a Comment